Monday

Adventures in NMAT-land

It's been about 10 hours since NMAT ended. Yeap I'm still counting. Haha. Sorry, I'm still shaking off the last bits of the exam from my body. Well at long last, it's finally over. I can go back to my regular self again, but then again, I'd rather not. My regular self is being a procrastinator, hence the title of my blog. I've become such a lazy ass this college that I'd forgotten the drive I've had in high school. Call me a nerd or whatever, but I kicked some ass in the academics department. Yeap total geek right here. I just don't know what happened when college started, but I know it's still within me. I just gotta search for it again or better yet, renew it.

Oh well back to NMAT. I woke up at around 4am (way before my alarm is supposed to wake me up, probably because my body was detecting my anxiety) and started "reviewing" some Bio questions. I still felt like hell cuz I was sick and all. If I had a fever the day before, I developed a sore throat over night. Anyway, I was pretty much psyched to go to UST by 5:50am. Never knew there would be so much people already by 6:20am. As in madami talaga. Even the convenience stores were packed.

I was waiting for Quiam, since we both had the same assigned building, when my heart started pounding. Ayan na. Puta. Exam na. The anxiety was working its way to my brain, but I managed to delay its march when Part I started. Let me tell you. Part I will be easy ONLY if you practice it or you're a mothereffing genius. Nah I'm a kidding, anyone can do it, but you'll be faster if you practiced it, especially the figures. Also, brush up on some vocabulary, since there are tricky parts there. You might also want to practice reading long texts in a short time. Pampatagal lang yung Reading Comprehension na yun. Grabe. So the first two tests were a breeze. I have to pride myself with Vocab and Inductive Reasoning since I finished 'em 30 minutes from the expected time. Anyway, I decided to skip Quantitative since I knew that Math was my Achilles' heel, and being that I practiced Perceptual Acuity the day before, I was more confident to finish that part first before heading to Math.

Buti nalang sa extra 30 minutes kase napatagal ako sa Perceptual Acuity. It was very tricky, mind you, especially the mirrored images. Anyway, after finishing Percep and with 40 minutes left, I headed to Math. Some were easy. Some were familiar. Some were recognizable but I just couldn't remember how to solve it (plus time was ticking). I guess for next time, I should practice my math skillz. Anyway, didn't get to finish Math and I expected it. So for Part I, I was happy (still am). For Part II, on the other hand, well...let's just say the anxiety already reached my brain at that point.

I will arrange the subjects from easiest to the hardest (at least for me): Sociology (duh may Psych diyan, course ko yan), Biology, Physics, and Chemistry (Lagi akong "Yay... 'C' for Chem" Hahaha). Part II was nuts. You know the feeling that you get when you're facing the test paper, and you don't know shit? I ain't exaggerrating. Ganun talaga ako kanina. It was like answering a test in an alien language. Grabe. Gun to the head lang talaga. I'm not proud to say it, but it was 85% guesswork. Estimate lang yun. Don't make me solve. My brain's traumatized already.

Anyway, when I was in the last test (Chemistry), I was on the verge of giving up. Apparently, a few people in the room have been done. SUS! If I know, they were shotgunning their way to finish the test like I was. But that's when it hit me actually. I was so sure that I'd be retaking it again in April. I was honest to myself. I didn't study for it, nor did I enroll for some review center. It was pure ability and stock knowledge, and I guess it just wasn't enough. My mom was right to pester me to study back in October. But she, just like my dad, was very comforting. They told me that I did my best and reminded me that I only took the test to get the grasp of it. Sure, mas okay sana kung pumasa na this year, but it wouldn't be bad to do it again on April. I'm glad my folks are really understanding and supportive.

I've learned a lot of things from NMAT. One of those being able to regain that drive I was talking about. Yeap, I think I'm beginning to be an achiever again. While I'm typing this entry, I'm also doing my reviewer for tomorrow's quiz. Hopefully with baby steps, I'll go back to being a nerd. Oh well bye for now!

P.S. Woooh. Humahaba na blog posts ko. Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment